If you spend most of your waking hours in entrance of a pc, standing stretches will save your butt … and your aching shoulders, tight hip flexors, and stiff neck.
Standing stretches are space-efficient, so you are able to do them between (or throughout) calls and conferences.
Stretching feels nice — attempt just a few of the stretches under and also you’ll see what we imply.
Plus, it’s essential to total health, particularly should you’re deskbound, explains Saara Haapanen, M.S., a licensed private coach and sports activities psychology Ph.D. candidate primarily based in Denver, Colorado.
(*5*) she says. (*3*)
How Often Should You Do Standing Stretches?
“ANY stretching is better than no stretching,” explains Haapanen.
A normal rule of thumb is to stand up and transfer for 2 minutes for each half hour you sit, however she is aware of that’s not lifelike for everybody.
“The top of every hour would be great,” she provides.
Pick standing stretches that concentrate on areas that really feel tight, and don’t skip leg stretches, the hip flexors, thoracic backbone, and pectoral muscle mass, says Jessica McManus, PT, proprietor of Full Circle Physical Therapy and Wellness Coaching in Newburyport, Massachusetts. “These areas tend to be the hardest hit from sitting.”
She recommends holding every stretch for 30 seconds for 3-5 sets.
That’s in regards to the time it takes so that you can await a kettle to boil water for tea — or for the microwave to reheat your leftovers.
The following stretches handle widespread tight spots, from the neck muscle mass all the best way all the way down to the ankles.
Pick out the person standing stretches that you simply want most, or do all of them for a satisfying, full-body stretch as a part of your morning stretch routine.
1. Ear-to-Shoulder Stretch
- From a standing place, drop your proper ear towards your proper shoulder whereas concurrently driving the left shoulder down (away from the left ear).
- Use your proper hand to softly information your head towards your proper shoulder whereas utilizing your left hand to maintain the left shoulder from lifting. You ought to really feel the stretch on the left facet of your neck.
- Hold for 3 breaths. Release and repeat on the alternative facet.
2. Shoulder Roll
- Stand together with your toes hip-width aside, your shoulders relaxed, and your arms at your sides.
- Slowly roll your shoulders in a circle (ahead, up, again, and down).
- After 30 seconds, reverse the path.
- Standing together with your toes hip-width aside, lengthen each arms out to your sides, forming a “T.”
- Bend your elbows 90 levels in order that your palms face ahead. This place is “cactus arms.”
- Squeeze your shoulder blades collectively, and draw your arms again barely behind you till you are feeling a stretch in your chest. Be cautious to not arch your again.
- Transition to “eagle arms.” Keeping your elbows bent and higher arms horizontal, cross your arms in entrance of you, proper arm underneath left, and intertwine them, with the intention to press your palms collectively (or the tops of your arms).
- Tuck your chin and spherical your shoulders till you are feeling a stretch between your shoulder blades.
- Hold for at the least 30 seconds, after which elevate your chin, unwind your arms, and return to cactus arms.
- Continue alternating between cactus and eagle arms, switching your high arm throughout eagle arms every time.
4. Forward Fold Chest Opener
- Stand together with your toes barely wider than hip-width aside, bending your knees barely.
- Interlace your fingers behind you and roll your shoulders again. Allow your elbows to bend.
- Keeping your again flat, hinge ahead at your hips so far as you possibly can. Let your gaze observe to maintain your backbone aligned. If you’ve got the mobility, straighten your legs and decrease your interlaced arms towards the ground in entrance of you.
- Hold, after which reverse the motion to return to the beginning place.
5. Wrist and Fingers Stretch
- From a standing place, place each arms in your desk, palms down, fingertips going through your body. To intensify the stretch, lean away.
- Hold the stretch till you are feeling the stress launch.
6. Hip Circles
- Stand together with your toes hip-width aside and your knees barely bent. Place your arms in your hips.
- Move your hips in a clockwise circle (ahead, proper, again, and left), making bigger circles as your muscle mass heat up.
- Continue for 30 seconds, after which repeat within the reverse (counterclockwise) path.
7. Standing Quad Stretch
- Stand together with your toes hip-width aside. Keeping your chest lifted and core braced, bend your proper knee and elevate your foot behind you, grabbing the highest of it together with your hand. Use a chair or wall for steadiness, if needed.
- Actively press the highest of your foot in opposition to your hand to really feel the stretch in your thigh and hip flexor.
- Release your leg, and repeat in your different facet.
8. Hip Opener
- Stand together with your toes wider than hip-width aside and your toes turned barely outward.
- Keeping your again flat and core engaged, push your hips again and decrease your body so far as you possibly can right into a wide-leg squat place, putting your arms in your knees.
- Straighten your proper arm in order that your proper hand pushes in opposition to the within of your proper knee as you rotate your higher body to the left. You ought to really feel the stretch in your proper shoulder and interior thigh.
- Hold, after which repeat, this time straightening your left arm and rotating your torso to the precise.
9. Cradle Knee Hug with Prayer Hands
- Stand together with your toes hip-width aside and elevate your proper knee.
- Hold your proper knee together with your proper hand and the outer a part of your proper foot together with your left hand. Keep your again tall.
- Hold the steadiness for 2 to 3 breaths.
- Next, place your proper ankle simply above your left knee as you slowly bend your left leg, hinging at your hips as you decrease your butt. Press the palms of your arms collectively in a prayer place. Press your proper knee down towards the bottom to accentuate the stretch.
- Hold this place, then return to a standing place and change legs.
10. Standing Calf Stretch
- Stand together with your toes hip-width aside.
- Keeping each legs straight, the 1st step foot barely again so that you’re in a staggered stance. Press your rear heel into the bottom so you are feeling your calf stretch.
- From this stance, bend your again knee. Try to maintain your rear heel pressed into the bottom to stretch the decrease a part of your calf.
- Hold, then repeat on the alternative facet.
11. Ankle Circles
- From a standing place, shift your weight to your left leg and elevate your proper foot out in entrance of you just a few inches from the ground.
- Trace a clockwise circle together with your proper foot.
- Repeat 3-5 occasions, then change instructions.
- Switch legs and repeat in each instructions together with your left ankle.